Monday, March 16, 2009

My Best Friend

For the past several weeks, I have been working on a blog post about all the things I have learned during pregnancy. This is turning into quite a novel seeing as how I have learned a lot. I also don't feel qualified to "finish" it until this whole pregnancy thing is over ... and then I am sure I will start a new post entitled "all the things I have learned during motherhood."

So, that said, I felt compelled to post an Ode to My Husband. During this entire process, I have told some quite humorous stories about all the things that my husband has said wrong, done wrong or simply the things that he has "thought" wrong. To be honest, although there are many times that I nit-pick at all the small things, most of these stories are truly just that ... stories. Stories that are engaging and humorous at, unfortunately, his expense. My husband is a good sport though - he has been known to embellish certain stories for comedic value so he understands this.

But, I owe him a lot and I know that I don't tell him enough. The truth, friends, is that I couldn't have done this without him. He has been amazing. He has done almost everything I have asked of him without complaint (and I say almost, because he has complained a couple of times, but it was warranted because I do ask for a lot!). He has rubbed my aching calves to prevent nighttime cramps; he encourages me to take naps and relax; he cleaned the house on Saturday while I did just that - and although some things may not have been to my specifications (hard to imagine!) the house was clean. He cooks dinner, he runs out to get me the random craving of fruit or chocolate milk, Wendy's chicken sandwich and whatever else I desire. He tells me how beautiful I am, even when I am crying that I have fat feet (swollen from pregnancy). Dan, not the handiest of men, may not be able to fix things around the house and he may end up breaking more stuff than he fixes, but he does so many more amazing things in spite of my having hormone driven outbursts that are often times unpleasant. I am pretty sure that he has read every book about pregnancy and raising a child, and those books that he hasn't read are either on their way to our house or on hold at the library. We watched the DVD "The Happiest Baby on the Block" last night and Dan took notes ... Rarely does a day go by when he doesn't take our beloved dogs, Keeper, Wrigley and Fly, to their favorite place on earth - the park. Even in the rain, snow and sleet - he knows how much it means to them and he does it regardless. He has sat with me through every ache and pain of pregnancy and even though he can't empathize, he has done his best to make me comfortable when possible.

I know that he is anxious about being a father ... excited and anxious. Dan's grandparent's raised him and although his grandfather played a large role in his life, Dan did not have the traditional "Dad" that I am so fortunate to have. So he wants to make sure he is the best Dad ever ... and you know what? He will be. He will be because he cares. He is a wonderful husband and will be a wonderful father very deserving of the title "Dad."

So, although he may not always put his dirty socks in the hamper and he is still learning how to clean "Sarah's way," I really have not a lot to complain about. In fact, I am very very lucky and I do not express this enough. The list in this "ode" is in no way complete - but I think it definitely lets you in a little on my world ... I have it pretty good. I am looking forward to starting the next leg of this journey into parenthood with my partner, my husband and my best friend.

No comments: