Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Birth Certified

Well, Dan and I finished up our birthing class last night - five weeks for two hours a week so that we could learn how to give birth. I asked the instructor at the end of class last night if we would be getting a certificate. After all, I did receive a little card after my Red Cross CPR class. But alas, we did not get anything to hang on the wall. Perhaps that happens once the baby is actually delivered - a little diploma or something?

I was recently joking with a friend about this and she remarked, "Yes, you get that in the hospital, and if you do it without the drugs then you get a gold sticker on it." Well, this just seals the deal for me. I want that gold sticker, darn it!

Our class was good - we had an interesting child birth educator who told us all about the risk factors of the epidural and how bad it was and then said, "I am not saying this because I am against epidurals, I am telling you because you have a right to know." Hm?? Sounds fishy to me. I think that Dan mentioned this in an earlier blog, but she is also all about some chinese herb to get the baby to flip in the correct head down position. As you know from my last post, you know that we did not have to resort to those methods, Amabo followed the script (for a change!).

What else is new? We are now seeing the doctor once a week until D-day. At the last appointment the doctor said that she felt a little hole ... so I guess that means I am dilated slightly. Don't get excited - I could stay this way for many more weeks, even well past my due date. My biggest fear now is that I will go to the doctor this Friday and they will say that I am not dilated at all -- is it possible to go backwards in this process?

Right now, what I am working on most is getting work wrapped up, which has been difficult because every time I turn around I have some new project.

That's about it for now. Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments: