Monday, January 5, 2009

My Belly Button is Getting Shallower

So, I knew that it would happen one day ... when my inny would become an outy. But I often wondered how it would happen. In case you are wondering, no, it is not quite there yet, but it is definitely shallower than it was. What I wondered mostly about was would it happen overnight or would it happen gradually. Well, it turns out it is happening gradually. Now it could still be that I wake up one morning and poof - it's an outy, but for now, it is just getting shallower and shallower.

Now, you may think this is a strange thing to blog about. You are right. And if you know me, you also know that this is something that I probably wouldn't want to blog about. But, after you have blogged about needing to go to the bathrom and having a renal ultrasound, pretty much anything becomes fair game. So here I am, talking about my belly button. Trust me, there are much worse things I could blog about at this point, but I will spare the readers.

On another note - if you read the previous post, then it is most likely that you have called or emailed me to say "how are you feeling?" The answer to that question is that miraculously I feel great. I have had no pain since the Drs visit on Friday, which I am thankful about. Again, I realize this could change any minute, just like my belly button, but I am enjoying myself for now. I did get two calls from the Drs office today: One to say that my renal ultrasound showed a dilated ureter. What does that mean? I have no idea. It means that I go to see a urologist at some point in the near future so that they can rule everything out. Don't get me wrong - I googled dilated ureter and apparently I am not dying and neither is the baby. So that's a good thing. Apparently a dilated ureter can be caused by a number of reasons, one of those reasons is being pregnant. The second call from the doc: I failed my glucose screening.

Seriously! I failed a test. Being a mostly A student in school, I did not fail many tests. In fact, I think in college I only failed one test and that was in Chemistry. I fortunately did well on the other tests and the finals and still ended up with a B in the class. I added that B to other one I got in economics. So hearing that I failed my glucose screening test is not only a shot at my ego, but it is also possibly a shot at my health for the remaining 13 weeks. I realize that gestational diabetes is not that big of a deal and completely controllable and most often only lasts for the duration of the pregnancy, but really? Another thing to think about on top of my dilated ureter??? So what happens now? I go back for the three hour screening test next Wednesday. That's right - I have to sit at the docs office for three hours while they test my blood once every hour. If I continue to get abnormal tests then I will be diagnosed with gestational diabetes and will have to go on a diet. I'll know more next week.

Meanwhile, I had a cupcake tonight at a work event, along with two pieces of pizza. I may as well get those bad carbs and sugars in before the doctor tells me I can't have em! I am also continuing the water regimen. I am nearly drowning in all the water I am drinking and the trips to the bathroom are frequent.

I talk about how much I don't enjoy being pregnant...and it is true. Right now, I can't imagine having to do this a second time. But truthfully, it hasn't been that bad. Yes, I was sick, yes I have been in pain - but everything has been mostly manageable. It just feels like a lot all at once, especially this past week with the pain and the docs visit. So it isn't really the physical toll that this pregnancy is taking on me, it is the emotional toll - partially brought on by myself because I am a planner, a worrier, and in most cases a perfectionist. Perhaps pregnancy is designed to get us Type A personalities ready for being a mother - eventually I am going to have to throw planning and perfectionism out the window and give way to the spontaneous and unpredictable world of motherhood.

No comments: