Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Week of Sickness

So last week can be more appropriately named the "Week of Hunger." You'll recall from previous posts that I was eating nearly everything in sight. Not so much this week. As I walked to the cafeteria at Duke to locate some food for myself and my growing belly, I could find nothing that appealed to me save a chocolate shake. I ordered a salad anyway with chicken. I brought the salad back to my office, opened it and sighed. This is NOT what I want. So what do I want....nothing ... except for the chocolate shake that I bought. Later in the afternoon, I went to a Duke picnic for incoming freshman (no, I am not a freshman, but free food is often a perq I get working for Duke). I bypassed all the meat, options that would have normally gotten my attention immediately, and went straight for the potato salad. That hit the spot.

So after feeling nauseous yesterday and unable to find anything I wanted to eat except for the chocolate shake and potato salad, I filled my zofran prescription from the OB/GYN. I thought I was doing well this morning. I had a glass of milk and an apple for breakfast and didn't feel sick at all...that is until I got to work. I popped a zofran and minutes after found myself sprinting to the restroom. Needless to say, my stomach is now empty.

Big Sigh! I am feeling that this is what is in store for me for the next few weeks and hopefully only a few weeks - but we'll see. It's a good thing that we are able to invoke our short-term memory when it comes to dealing with the journey of pregnancy. If not, I am quite certain we would have far fewer people in the world.

No comments: