Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Joys of Pregnancy: Being a Chub-A-Lub!

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted and I decided that readers needed an update.

I have week 23 doctors appointment on Thursday and I have been weight obsessed since week 19. (If you read my last post, you will understand). Apparently I gained too much weight between weeks 15 and 19 and now I am nearly concerned that the doc will tell me I haven't gained enough between week 19 and 23. I have only gained about 3 lbs so far since the last appt, although this is still more than the 1/2 lbs allowance that Dr. No was willing to give me four weeks ago. So we'll see. The docs appt is not with Dr. No this time. It is with our fave doc. And if he says that I am a "chub-a-lub" (in the words of a coworker and friend) then I know it's true.

Other new developments: I am enjoying this whole pregnancy thing more now than I was. Don't get me wrong - it is still a means to end for me. If I could do it another way without the weight gain, stretch marks, back ache, etc...then I would be all over it. But alas, I am not independently wealthy so growing my baby in a petri dish probably isn't going to happen. Anyway, where was I? Oh right ... enjoying this more. By enjoying more, I mean a couple of things:
1) For the past four weeks, I have enjoyed being sick/nauseous-free. Blissful! I don't think I realized I bad I truly felt during weeks 6-19 until I finally felt good. Of course, then I was completely worried that something was wrong (again, if you have read very early posts you will understand that I need a sign!). I wouldn't say that I am glowing, however, although I was told last Wednesday that I had a "pregnant-lady glow." I think it was more the fact that I found my eye-lash curler (MIA for a year) and was inspired to do full make-up.
2) I finally look halfway pregnant. That's right. I am no longer just the girl whose stealin' all the snacks (although Dr. No would say otherwise). My belly is definitely rounder. Now,this looking pregnant business is double-edged. On the one hand, you definitely get more doors opened for you and more offers to help lift things. This is nice. On the other hand, once people realize you are pregnant and not just chubby, the advise comes. For example: Why in the world are my breasts and breast feeding a good topic of conversation? Perhaps if I brought it up, that would be one thing. But when a co-worker that you aren't all that close too asks, as the first thing after finding out your news, "So, are you gonna breast feed?" My response: "Well..." And that was as far as I got, friends. I was cut off before I could politely answer and excuse myself to an entire conversation about why I needed to breast feed, etc...etc...The conversation was probably only about 5 minutes long, but it felt like an eternity.

My favorite thing about this stage of pregnancy though are the people who engage me in conversation, not knowing I am pregnant, and I catch them taking several glances at my newly round belly trying to figure out if I am really pregnant or not. Sure, I could tell them, but it is more fun to watch this situation pan out. It's almost as if I can hear them asking themselves "should I ask? But what if she isn't....?" One co-worker flat out asked me. Although I wouldn't recommend this tactic under normal circumstances, I appreciate this type of directness. Mind you, if I wasn't pregnant, that co-worker would have found himself defying gravity that day and flying through the air. Lucky for him that I am "with child."

A new name: My five year-old cousin was over for Thanksgiving and made several wise observations about this baby on the way. After several questions about where would the baby's room be, where would the music be in the baby's room (because everyone knows you have to have music in the baby's room...she reminded me!), she asked me what the baby's name would be? I told her in my most serious manner "Amabo." She took a deep breath in, crinkled up her nose and was clearly dissatisfied. Rather than offer a new first name, however, she offered a much better option. She replied to me, "How about Amabo Rose?" What a wise little girl! She made the name prettier without offending me! I think that she will be pleased when the baby comes and realizes that we aren't actually going to name her Amabo.

Well - that's it for now. I can't promise this, but expect a post after Thursday's docs appt.

1 comment:

Kevin S. LeCount said...

Why NOT name her Amabo? Come on!!!

Seriously I really enjoyed your little blog. Thanks for sharing.

We love you!