Monday, December 15, 2008

I worry therefore I am

I hope folks enjoyed SC’s post as much as I did. I have wanted to post about similar topics and glad that she took the lead. Takes the pressure off me, I don’t have to be funny since she has taken care of that. I too worry. Not a day goes by when my stomach hasn’t knotted up thinking about this process. By knotting up, almost to the point where I think I may puke myself and start getting the hot spits. Yesterday I went to a football game in Charlotte so I got to spend several hours of windshield time with some buddies of mine. One of them has two kids (a three year old and a 16 month old) and the other one has a 6 month old. One would think that most of the ride would have been talking about guy stuff, the usually crass stuff guys talk about, lets be honest, farting will always be funny to some of us for some reason. Oh wait, I am not supposed to be funny, back to the serious stuff. Most of the talk on the trip was focused on kids. I obviously had tons of questions but they also talked and shared stories about their kids. I learned what an uncontained poop is and how that is a bad thing at day care. I learned that some lactation consultants can be Nazis and not to worry too much about what they say you can confirm with a pediatrician concerns you may have. I learned that I should take pillows with me to the hospital because there offering of sleeping devices can not be considered comfortable even to the most exhausted person. I learned that bananas aren’t a good thing if you are trying to get a poop out of the little one. You get where I am going with this? I learned a lot. It was a great trip that I took a lot away from, and sitting up close on the 50 yard line wasn’t bad either. But even after such a good advice from friends, I am terrified for many of the reasons listed in the previous post. I realize that perfection is not expected and unobtainable; I just want to be the best parent I can. With ever question that comes up another manifests immediately. I think I turned out ok (I realize that many that know me could debate that) and can only hope and pray that this burden I am feeling can be transformed into positive parenting, thanks for listening. Amabo, I am sorry you have to be a part of this on the job training but hopefully we will not mess you up too bad before we get it figured out.

No comments: