Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lessons Learned ....

I am completely mesmerized by the fact that Facebook has become a political platform for so many.  No doubt, there is a great proportion of us who have posted at one time or another something about our political values or something that strikes us either in an approving way or perhaps disapproving.  But recently, especially with the buzz around Amendment One, I have seen a surge of political posts.  Perhaps that is because I spent about two weeks using Facebook as my political platform.  Since then, I have been feverishly searching Facebook posts to see other political posts, both for and against the side for which I stand.

Two such posts have caught my eye in a negative way.  One was a post from Catholic Answers regarding opposition to Gay Marriage and all the reasons to be against homosexuality in general.  The post was by far the most offensive thing that I have ever read.  I mean that and it bears repeating -- it was the most offensive collection of words and sentences I have ever read.

The other post was one about Obama vandalizing Presidential biographies.  REALLY?  I find that hard to believe ... so I went searching.  The article from "The Examiner" states that Obama has injected himself into history by using what Presidents of the past have done and saying that he is doing something similar, etc...  I located the source of this alleged vandalism and what I found was that actually, what the White House has done is to add a "Did You Know" fact to a handful of presidential biographies online to show a comparison between his policy or tradition and one from the past.   I started to respond to the post, but decided that because it was a close relative it just wasn't worth it.  I am appalled however ... and disappointed in this particular person.  I am sure that none of us can ever recall a time when we have quoted leaders of the past or compared our work to those of the past to talk about what we are doing to build upon that history.  I am disappointed in the sub-population of citizens that 1) creates these stories like the one found on "The Examiner" and 2) promotes them.  I am disappointed that we are not working together towards a common agenda.  I am disappointed that we have decided that it is somehow more important to attack the President on something that is not a crime nor is it inappropriate.  We have a choice - we can discuss the issues ... and I mean really discuss them and understand them.  We can come to agreement on how to move forward.  We are defeating ourselves and for what?  Greed.  Power.  Selfishness.  Defeating ourselves is also not a crime, but inappropriate and wrong - Yes.

Yes ... I wanted to post all of these words tonight on Facebook but in the end I decided to post them here instead.  It is safer here and not that I have ever been one to choose the safe route...but perhaps, I am taking examples from my past and others' pasts, just as Mr. Obama is doing.  I am choosing to do the right thing because the words that I post on Facebook will not change anybody's opinion -- they will only cause hurt and discourse.  Much in the same way that Amendment One has caused hurt and discourse.  Funny how easily I can take an example from history (recent history that is) and apply it to my own situation.   Does that mean that I am injecting myself into history?  Perhaps some think it is.

No comments: