Friday, April 3, 2009

What I Know Now

The books on my nightstand have been replaced by a fresh supply of diapers, wipes and desitin cream. My dreams are interrupted by the worries of a mother who wants to make sure her child is still breathing at night. My daily thoughts are now consumed with making sure that Emily Grace has everything she needs. And I am now a pro at doing things with one hand - even being right handed, I successfully ate a salad for lunch today with only the use of my left hand.

I can do so many things that I couldn't do two weeks ago - I can bathe a baby, I can feed a baby and change a diaper while half asleep. I can whisper lullabies while softly praying that she goes back to sleep. Two weeks ago I would have thought it was so boring to watch a baby sleep - but now I can even do that and pass endless hours that way finding fascination in every breath she takes.

I know so much more than I knew two weeks ago - I know that when my baby sneezes it is not a cold, it is just a sneeze. I know the difference between a hungry cry, a gas cry and a lonely cry. I know that if you don't get the new diaper on quick enough you'll get a wet surprise. I know how important sleep is, but I also know that I am capable of functioning on a lot less than 8 hours.

Yes, I know so much more than I knew two weeks ago...I know of the heroism of all mothers of the world. I know that nothing compares to a mother's love for her child. Watching Dan, I understand the special love that a father has for his daughter. And I now know how much my parents love me. Not that I ever really doubted their love for me, but it wasn't until I became a parent myself that I could truly comprehend how deeply parents love their children.

Yes, it is amazing how much can change overnight and how much more I know about myself and my ability to love than I did two weeks ago. And I am excited about how much more I will know in another two weeks.

No comments: